Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Fragrance of Grandma


My Grandma was on my mind . She was slowing and everything was hard. Still, dinner for Grandpa was a must . I thought it would help if I brought dinner once a week. I wanted to help and also felt a call to spend time with her.  The thought of visiting was followed by a soft, angelic voice saying, "There is no time ."

Not long after, Grandma was in an ambulance to the hospital for emergency surgery. Her intestines had perforated and an entire day went by  before she asked for help. Toxins had flooded her body and taken her to life's boundary.  I went  to her side and before surgery said, "Don't go anywhere. I need you." She whispered, "I won't. I need you too. I love you." Despite the emergency effort, she left us.

On the way to the cemetery there was silence in the car. There wasn't silence in my head.  I kept hearing Grandma say, "I'm right here." Standing at the grave, I asked, "Are you really here?" The sudden fragrance of roses was near overwhelming. I looked in front of me  and saw only grass. I moved in a slow circle and saw only grass.  As I had in the car, I heard her voice again, "Yes, I am here. I am so happy."  Only then did I silently say her name, "Rose."